Trees are integral to keeping the community beautiful and the air we breathe clean. However, there are situations where a tree has to be removed. Whether it’s due to damage or old age, you must remove some trees to avoid further problems. However, you have to ensure that you do it right. Preferably, you should have professionals doing the job for you. If you are from Woollahra Council, you should familiarise yourself with the rules and regulations on tree removal. Here are the essential things you must know.
Tree Removal without Council Permits
In Woollahra Council, you can decide to remove a tree without obtaining permission from the council. However, your action should meet one of the following criteria:
- The tree is dead
- The tree is less than five meters in height
- The tree has a canopy spread that’s less than three meters wide
- The removal is emergency and safety related
- The tree belongs to a list of undesirable species
The Approval Process of Tree Removal in Woollahra Council
If the tree removal activity you will do involves reasons not mentioned above, you should go to the Council and seek approval.
There are two main types of tree removal approvals: development application consent and removal permit.
1. Development Application Consent
If the tree removal is part of a development, you must seek development application consent from the council.
This applies if you want to remove a tree to meet specific development standards, such as road widening or making room for new development.
2. Removal Permit
The council may also require a removal permit if the tree removal is for reasons other than development. You will need to fill out a removal permit form and attach it to supporting documents.
Whichever of the two options you choose, you need to prepare the following documents:
- The completed application form
- A detailed plan of the site
- The identification of the site and the developer or applicant
- A statement of environmental effects
- A statement of the removal process
- Further details, if necessary
The Tree Removal Assessment Process
Once the application and documents are prepared, the Council will assess each tree removal proposal. Woollahra Council will determine the application based on seven factors, each being evaluated on a five-point scale.
The seven factors are:
- The tree’s mature growth stage
- The tree’s place in the urban planting scheme
- The tree’s location and the environment
- The tree’s shape, form, size, and color
- The tree’s historical and cultural value
- The tree’s importance to the function of the site
- The tree’s significance to the local council plan
Once all seven factors are assessed, each element will be assigned based on the score. The final score that is obtained will be used to decide whether to grant the removal permit or not.
For More Information
If you have further questions about tree removals and related permits, contact the Woollahra Council. Feel free to contact them at (02) 9391 7000 or visit their official website.
Trees are essential in an urban environment such as Woollahra Council because they provide shade to the surrounding areas. Also, they help create a lush, natural glow that helps us relax. However, if you seek tree removal, obtain the proper permits and do it right.
Once the permits are secured, it’s time to call for professional tree removal in North Shore, Sydney. We can help with tree lopping and stump removal services at Northside Tree and Garden Services.
There’s no need to worry about safety and compliance, as our experts will guide you throughout the process. Don’t hesitate to call us today for more information.