Lane Cove Council Tree Preservation Order allows for the following tree removal, or pruning works without council approval or notification. Lane Cove Council’s Tree Preservation Order protects trees in the city and allows for certain pruning or removal works without council approval or notification. However, the wilful destruction or removal of any tree with a height greater than 4 meters and a diameter greater than 150 millimeters is prohibited without council consent. This post will explore the Tree Preservation Order, fines for illegal tree removal, and bushfire prevention measures.
Tree Preservation Order Lane Cove
- Any tree with a trunk diameter of less than 150mm and a height of fewer than 4 meters (measured at 1 meter above the ground)
- Dead branches must be pruned. The Council strongly recommends that any pruning work be performed by a certified arborist and comply with Australian Standard AS4373-2007 – Pruning of Amenity Trees.
- Pruning of tree branches near two meters of electric power lines, as mandated by state law (Council encourages that such pruning works are undertaken by a qualified Arborist where necessary and in accordance with AS4373-2007)
- Fruit tree and blooming fruit tree pruning or removal (Prunus sp, Malus sp, Citrus sp)
- Pruning and contouring of Cypress Pines (Cuppressus sp., Chamaecyparis sp.) not exceeding 10% of the total canopy
- Pruning or removal of Crepe Myrtle (Lagerstroemia sp.) trees less than 6 meters high.
- Pruning or removal of any tree of a species designated as a noxious plant in the Lane Cove local government area under the Noxious Weeds Act 1993.
So, This Tree Preservation Order prohibits the ringbarking, cutting down, topping, lopping, removing, injuring, or wilful destruction of any tree within the local government area of Lane Cove with a height greater than 4 meters and a diameter greater than 150 millimeters (measured at 1 meter above the ground), except where the consent of Council is first obtained.
What’s the 10/50 Rule For Tree Removal?
If you live near the forest bush, you should prepare your home. The 10/50 Vegetation Clearing Scheme provides a different approach for those living near the forest to be better prepared for bushfires.
So, People in a specific region can use the scheme to:
- Clear trees on their land that are within 10 meters of a residence without requesting permission; and
- Clearing underlying vegetation such as bushes (but not trees) on their land within 50 meters of a residence without obtaining permission.
Fines for Illegal Tree Removal
The Lane Cove Council Development Control Plan 2010 governs tree removal and trimming.
So, Anyone who fails to follow the rules will be punished and penalized. Fines can go as high as $1,100,000.
Tree Removal Considerations
The first action you should take is to consult with your local arborist.
Arborists can offer tree advice on how they can improve the health and appearance of your trees. They can also offer suggestions on preserving your tree and preventing future problems.
If the tree is beyond treatment or control, you should seek an expert’s opinion.
So, The local and state government are promoting the 10/50 rule as a way to reduce the risks of bushfires.
However, you should be aware that tree removal should be done according to the set of guidelines set by the Lane Cove Council and the state government. That way, you’ll have nothing to worry about.
Your trees are one of the best additions to your property that you can have. It only makes sense to preserve them.
As you can see, Lane Cove Council’s tree preservation order is designed to help protect trees within the city and help make Lane Cove a better place to live.
So, The order puts some restrictions on tree removal and trimming works. But it also permits certain types of works without council approval.
Northside Tree and Garden Services are the best landscapers in Sydney. We offer the usual gardening and landscaping services to help our clients maintain their gardens in the best shape possible.
However, we also provide tree-cutting services in Sydney. Allow us to take care of your unwanted plants today.